Choosing the suitable heat gun model is not an easy task, as there’re many available options to consider. We’ve spent hours of research, analyzed their pros & cons, and have compiled a list of the eight best heat gun paint removal in this review.
Heat guns generate warmth to slightly melt the paint, making it easier to scrape away. However, not all of them are equally created, resulting in the difference in their quality and performance.
We carefully looked at customers’ feedback and picked up only the high-quality models to review here. Without further ado, let’s take a look!
Review on top 8 best-rated heat gun paint removal
Wagner Spraytech 0503008 HT1000 Heat Gun
- DUAL TEMPERATURE HEAT GUNS: The HT1000 Heat Gun offers a 750ᵒF and 1000ᵒF temperature setting to easily help complete household home improvement tasks
- HEAT GUN FOR HOUSEHOLD PROJECTS: Use this heat gun to soften paint, caulking, adhesive or putty for removal. Other applications include shrink wrap, bend plastic pipes, and loosen rusted nuts or bolts
- HEAT GUN ADJUSTABLE SETTINGS: The two fan speeds provide additional control to customize to your project needs
- HANDS FREE OPERATION: Features an integrated stand for safe, hands-free operation to help prevent the hot nozzle from touching your work surface
- DURABLE FOR GENERAL USE: Features a corrosion resistant nozzle for long lasting use and integrated hanging hook to easily store on a peg wall or workbench
This Wagner heat gun makes short work of DIY projects and other tough jobs. It comes with two temperature settings: 750°F and 1000°F, allowing users to switch between them for their multiple tasks.
The gun’s hot air tool provides concentrated heat to easily remove paint from wood, making it the best heat gun for removing paint from wood.
It features a corrosion-resistant nozzle and a rugged yet lightweight handle, making it durable enough for other tasks like loosening rusted bolts, tinting windows, and thawing frozen pipes, just to name a few.
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Compact shape
- Quiet operation
- It heats and melts the paint & glue rapidly
- Works excellently on many projects
- The switch has poorly soldered connections
- The metal barrel is not sturdy
DEWALT D26960K Heat Gun with LCD Display
- LCD display of DEWALT heat gun allows user to adjust temperature within 50-degree increments
- Built-in overload protection shuts the heating element down and prevents burn up
- Built-in hang ring adds a convenient storage feature
- Cord protector keeps the cord from tearing away from the housing
- Built-in innovative kickstand support provides greater stability and prevents tip over
The DEWALT D26960K heat gun is equipped with an LCD so users can adjust the temperature within the range of 150 to 1100°F. It can be used a lot on a day-in, the day-out basis on various tasks: from defrosting pipes to putting on vinyl stickers, from greasing off range hood to bending PVC.
Thanks to built-in overload protection, it can shut the heating element down to prevent unwanted incidents for the users. Besides, its built-in hang ring is an added-on feature for convenient storage.
Last but not least, the gun’s ergonomic grip, together with its compact design, provide comfort, even used for long hours.
- Useful accessory nozzles
- Built-in kickstand for excellent stability
- Built-in hang ring for convenient storage
- 12 common accessories included
- The power cord can quickly get twisted
PORTER-CABLE PC1500HG Heat Gun
- 1500 watts deliver high heat and multiple fan settings for PORTER-CABLE heat gun
- 2 speed selector delivers high and low fan speed settings
- Variable temperature dial allows for easy adjustment of temperatures
- Integrated support stand allows the gun to sit upright for hands free use
- Integrated hanging hook is ideal for storage
This heat gun from Porter-Cable comes with a dual-fan speed, delivering high and low-speed settings. While its variable temperature control dial provides easy adjustment of temperatures, its integrated hands-free support stand is another factor contributing to the gun’s usability.
With a 1500-watt motor, this is the best heat gun for lead paint removal. Besides binding and welding plastic pipes, removing adhesive tiles can also be done quickly if used with this heat gun.
Also, its 6-feet high-grade cord offers enhanced mobility.
- Powerful with 1500w motor
- Dual-fan speeds
- Wide temperature range – 120 to 1150 °F
- Integrated hanging hook
- Six-foot power cord
- No case or additional nozzles
- It does not include a cooling-cycle feature
CARTMAN 1500W Hot Air Gun
- CAUTION: at initial use 30mins heating, slight smoke is harmless, that's steam from heat isolation material mica. Pls understand.
- General purpose gun for stripping paint, thawing pipes, loosening floor tiles
- 2 temperature settings (750 and 1,000 degrees F) for defrosting freezers or loosening rusted bolts
- 4,100 Btu output for removing multiple layers of paint
- Measures 16.5 by 9.8 by 17 inches; Weighs 1.9 pound
If you’re looking for a no-frills heat gun, this model from Cartman is an excellent choice.
With sturdy construction, it is an ideal tool for paint removal and other home improvement projects like up-cycling, bending plastics, thawing gutters, or drying epoxy resin.
The gun’s two heating wires are both constructed from Germany-made nickel-chrome, giving it a significantly higher resistance level than other models sold on the market.
Whereas its heat range is 750 to 1000 °F, the gun also has a six-speed fan, giving you optimal flexibility for hot air intensity.
- Included a rear-mounted LCD screen for easy control
- Sturdy build with thick power cable
- Four nozzles included
- Additional nozzles are not durable
- Weak airflow
BLACK+DECKER HG1300 Heat Gun
- The heat gun has 2 temperature settings (750 degrees and 1000 degrees) for a variety of applications
- Built-in stand for easy cool down
- Lightweight and compact design for ease of use and handling
- 2 temperature settings (750 Degrees and 1000 Degrees) for a variety of applications
- Built-in stand for easy cool down
BLACK + DECKER is a well-known manufacturer of power tools. With a history of more than a century, the company has designed product lines of only the most reliable heat guns, and the HG1300 is one of those.
It has a compact design, fitting perfectly into tight spaces like cupboards or cabinets. The gun’s rocker is simple to operate, meaning that even new users can comfortably and confidently control this tool.
With a six-foot power cord, it sets you free from the hassle of plugging and unplugging. The HG1300 is a 1350W dual temperature heat gun that can help you goggle up paint and loosen rusted nuts with little effort.
Besides, its ergonomic and sturdy handle also ensures a secure grip for intensive projects.
- Compact and lightweight design for the ease of use and storage
- Two temperature settings (750 and 1000 °F) for various applications
- Built-in stand for faster cool down
- No additional nozzles
- Relatively noisy
SEEKONE 1800W Heavy Duty Hot Air Gun Kit
- ►【Strong Power With 2 Modes】 SEEKONE heat gun provides strong power to quickly heat up in seconds.The 1800W motor generates enough hot air for almost any project, there are two modes: I: 400℃, 250L/min; II: 600℃, 500L/min.
- ►【High and Low Temperature Settings】 You can switch the temperature between the low setting of 752℉(400℃）and high of 1112℉ (600℃） with a single push of a button to easily help complete household home improvement tasks. Dual temperature option to meet different needs in your project.
- ▶ 【Scientific Ergonomic Design & Wide Applications】SEEKONE heat gun has a scientific ergonomic design handle can prevent repetitive strain injuries.Ideal use for shrinking heat shrink tube, shrinking wrap, heating PVC, electronics, cell phone repairs, vinyl wrap, removing paint or floor tiles, loosening rusted bolts, and other heating or thawing purpose.
- ►【Four Nozzles Accessories】Deflector nozzle directs a long, narrow heat pattern to the work surface; Two concentrator nozzles direct a concentrated heat flow to the work surface; Reflector nozzle disperses heat flow evenly around the whole work surface. (Note: The heat blown out is highly concentrated,Don't use the nozzle for a long time.)
- ▶【What You Get 】 1 x 1800W Heat Gun, 4 x Nozzles, 1 x User Manual, our worry-free and friendly customer service. Anything happened about the product, please feel free to contact us at any time, we will be always here for you.
As the name implies, the SEEKONE 1800W heat gun provides immense power as it operates at 1800W, capable of heating up in a split of a second.
With an extensive temperature range (752℉ – 1112℉), it is highly versatile, allowing you to work on various tasks, regardless of the required temperature.
Even though its heat level is high, you can be ensured that it’s safe to use thanks to the overload protection system.
This heat gun’s versatility is also enhanced thanks to its four nozzles. Completing jobs that required precision is no longer a challenge for your DIY projects.
- Powerful motor
- It comes with four nozzles
- Large airflow range
- Controls are easy to adjust
- Ergonomic design
- Attachments are difficult to tighten
- The temperature reading is not included.
- Wagner Furno 300 Heat Gun Review – An Essential Tool To Remove Paint!
- 28 Must-Have Painting Tools When You Paint (with Pictures)
Xpeoo 2000W Heat Gun Kit
- ◆【ATTENTION】:The heat gun will emit white smoke in a short time after starting up,which is a normal phenomenon.It can operate in US 110/120V 60hz.The middle model can use two gears temp and rear cover temp adjust to control the temperature, without digital display function
- ◆【2000WREAR COVER TEMP ADJUST】:2000W Heat Gun provides strong power to heat up to 1112℉(600℃) quickly. Temperature ranges from 122℉to 1112℉(50℃- 600℃),please pay attention to safety when using it.Rotating the rear cover for temperature adjustment,more accurate and more selective to satisfy different utility
- ◆【FREE- HANDS OPERATION】: The design of Rear Cover Flat and bracket is ideal for stand by itself upright to free hands
- ◆【10 VERSATILE ACCESSORIES& Wide Applications】: Heat Air Gun come with 10 multi-purpose attachments,includes 5 nozzles,1 paint shovel,4paint shovel attachments.Attachments meet different application needs.Great for shrink wrapping,epoxy resin,shrink tubing,crafts,cell phone repairs,vinyl wrap,thawing pipes,paint removal,electronics repair.
- ◆【CONFIDENT WITH PRODUCTS QUALTY】:Any of your sincere feedback for heat gun are welcomed.And we will try our best to solve it.Additionally,you also can choose REPLACEMENT TOOL or REFUNDING
This 2000W heat gun offers strong power with an extensive temperature range (22℉ – 1112℉), making it the best heat gun paint removal from metal. With a Rear Cover Flat, it stands on its own, supporting the free-hand operation.
Since the gun comes with ten accessories, many projects have broad applications, from shrinking tubes to removing paint, from fixing epoxy resin to repairing electronics. A must-have tool for any home renovation projects or daily maintenance tasks!
- Solid build
- Heats up quickly
- Many accessories included
- Offers the perfect balance
- Adjustable settings
- Easy to hold when in use
- Accessories are of low quality
- The fan is not durable
Yome Heat Gun 1800W Variable Temperature
- 【Are you a Do-it-Yourself Individual?】Different jobs need different temperatures. So, a heat gun with one temperature will not meet your needs. Yome 1800W Heat Gun has 2 airflow speeds, and 6 temperature dial ranges, allowing it to fulfill all of your various requirements.
- 【High-Temperature Resistant】The Yome Heat Gun is made of ABS plastic, heat-resistant nylon, and stainless steel. When Yome Heat Gun is working at a high temperature, this effect will not hinder the integrity of the gun and the user will not sense the heat through the handle. Designed with an ergonomic handle and sidebar to prevent accidental touch of the nozzle, this heat gun also features built-in overload protection to ensure safety during use.
- 【4 Types of Nozzles】Install one of the four nozzles for any work scenario. The Heat Gun can reach a temperature of 1112 Fahrenheit, however, if the environment outside is freezing, the heat gun may not achieve its max temperature. After each use of the heat gun, be sure it has cooled fully, before putting it away. Contact with the Heat Nozzle can cause severe burns.
- 【Wide Application】7 multi-purpose attachments are perfect for shrink and vinyl wrapping, crafts, cell phone repair, paint stripping, rusted bolt removal, thawing frozen pipes, and many other uses left to your imagination.
- 【Support】If our products have any problems, our 24 hours supporting team can help you. If we cannot solve your problems, you can Contact Amazon Customer Support to replace them for free.
Fulfilling your various projects’ different needs is easy if you equip yourself with this Yome 1800W heat gun.
Its two airflow speeds coupled with six temperature dial ranges give this gun the flexibility to tackle many projects that require power and precision.
Built from stainless steel and other carefully chosen heat-resistant materials, its durability is guaranteed. The ergonomic handle also ensures comfort, whereas the built-in overload protection feature offers safety for users.
- Sturdy construction
- Lightweight and comfortable to hold
- Safety temperature control included
- Clear and helpful using instructions
- Extensive heat range (140℉~1112℉)
- The temperature control is not easy to use
- Attachments are made of low-quality materials
What to consider when buying a heat gun paint removal
When buying a heat gun, you usually need to consider its features and price range. Besides, you might want to compare a few models of your choice to see which one suits you the most.
Below are several factors to consider before making the purchase decision.
It’s best to pick a heat gun capable of offering you enough heat for your jobs. Most heat guns emit a stream of hot air with temperatures ranging from 200-1000°F, while some more robust models can reach 1400°F.
The best heat gun for removing paint usually comes with extensive heat range, allowing users to begin with low temperature to avoid overheating the area, then slowly increase the heat until the paint is scraped off.
Aside from a standard wide-mouth nozzle, there are a few other interchangeable attachments included. The more nozzles you have, the better control you’ll be given when working on your projects.
Given this, it’s best to pick heat gun models that come with an extensive accessory kit so that you won’t need to buy them separately.
Heat guns that allow you to work on your projects hand-free will result in top-quality results. They usually come with an integrated stand, making it safer and easier to use.
Either electric or batteries can operate heat guns. However, those powered by electricity are usually stronger, thus, provide more heat.
If you plan to purchase an electricity-powered heat gun, make sure that its power cord is at least six feet long.
Some heat gun models come with accessories like rings, allowing users to hang them up in your workshop for easy storage. Another standard accessory is the heat deflector to deflect the heat away.
You can also find a heat gun reducer – a multipurpose attachment designed for more precise preheating, welding or soldering, or other work types that require attention to detail.
While many shoppers ignore this factor, we reckon that it’s an important one. The lighter the heat gun is, the more comfortable it is to hold it in your hands.
Stripping paint on multiple surfaces is not a simple task, so we would recommend you choose a heat gun that weighs around 2 pounds. Heavier models might leave you with sore hands and arms, especially after working on large projects.
Price ranges vary, depending on the included features, nozzles, and attachments. Some inexpensive ones might cost around $15 to $20, while other high-quality tools cost $40 to $150.
Given this, it’s best to consider your needs, then carefully look into your preferred models’ specs before making the purchase decision. Some heat guns come with bells and whistles that you don’t need, so it’s no point spending on them.
How to remove paint with a heat gun?
Removing paint might sound like a time-consuming task, but it’s not that difficult if you equip yourself with the right heat fun and follow the below steps:
- Step 1: Clean the wood (or other surfaces with paint on)
- Step 2: Plug the heat gun in, then wait for a while to let it heat up.
- Step 3: Now, you can start using the heat gun to heat the paint. Simply bring it close to the paint, then move it up and down a few times until the paint starts to melt.
- Step 4: When you notice that the paint is soft, you can scrape it off.
- Step 5: It’s now time for the final touch-up. You can scrape the remaining dots off and then rub it with white spirits to have a more thoroughly cleaned area.
Is a heat gun good for removing paint?
Yes, it certainly is. Heat guns are great tools to remove paint and other finishes easily. They’re perfect for removing a few layers of color at the same time.
These guns either blow air into their bodies, drive it through a nozzle, or heat the surface using light emission technology. Because of this way of operation, they’re sometimes called hot air blowers.
These tools remove paint quickly and produce no mess compared to those that require the use of chemicals. They can be used both indoors or outdoor and on multiple finishes.
How do you remove paint from a hot air gun?
First, you’ll need to make sure it’s unplugged. Next, use a scraper to remove the paint slowly. Alternatively, you can also use a putty knife to scrape the remaining paint away from your hot air gun.
What is the fastest way to remove paint from wood?
Removing paint from wood by using an electric hot gun is probably the fastest way. However, it can slightly burn the paint surfaces if not used with care.
Therefore, it’s best to practice using these tools in a small area first before working on a large project.
Will a heat gun remove paint from brick?
Yes, it will. It works on brick just fine as it does on wood, so you only need to follow the steps shared from the above guide. Also, it’s best to wear protective eyewear, clothing, and a mask.
Will a heat gun remove paint from metal?
Yes, it will. The heat produced from the heat gun can remove paint from metal surfaces by softening it. So removing paint from metal with a heat gun doesn’t take much effort as long as you have the right tools.
Where can you use a heat gun?
A heat gun can be used indoor and outdoor on a broad range of daily home improvement jobs or larger projects.
It can dry and remove paint, soften adhesives, shrink wrappings, loosen old screws. Besides, these guns can also make short work of many other tasks, depending on how creative and skillful you are in using them.
We hope you’ve got some useful recommendations and a buyer’s guide on how to pick a reliable heat gun. If you haven’t decided on your preferred model yet, the Wagner Spraytech 0503008 HT1000 is the best heat gun paint removal, in our opinion.
This Wagner heat gun has a perfect combination of design, performance, and heat range, making it an ideal choice for any DIY enthusiasts and professionals. More importantly, this heat gun is also reasonably-priced.