Matte paint gives walls and other items a velvety and no-shine finish, so it’s often used to conceal any imperfections. It is non-reflective, has more pigment than any other finish, and also easy to apply. However, choosing the best matte gold spray paint can be an uphill task, as there are many options to consider.
We’ve done careful research to shortlist only the most reliable ones. Below are the highest-rating matte gold spray paints and several tips on how to use them.
Top 7 best matte gold spray paint in 2021
Montana Cans Montana 400 ml
- Flexible, acrylic-based matte formula
- Works well on wood, concrete, metal, plastic, canvas, glass and many other surfaces
- 100% lead and CFC free
- Remove the safety seal/ black O ring before spray
You can apply it to various areas, from metal to wood, from concrete to canvas. Many customers said it works best on glass surfaces, so it is the best matte gold spray paint for glass on this list.
It is easy to use, offering artists a perfect choice for creative work. Also, with a low-pressure system, it ensures maximum accuracy, satisfying even the most demanding professionals’ needs.
- 100% lead and CFC free
- Works well on various surfaces
- Excellent adhesion
- Paint dries down quickly
- The spray is even and smooth
- Premium-looking and durable finish
- Colour lays down thin and with high density
- The spray button is not well-made.
- It spits large particles towards the end of the can.
Rust-Oleum Pure Gold 245221 Universal
- Works on virtually any surface including wood, plastic, metal, fiberglass, concrete, wicker, vinyl and more
- Oil-based formula with excellent adhesion prevents rust, resists fading and chipping for a long lasting finish
- Fast drying formula dries to the touch in 30 minutes and covers up to 15 sq ft per can
- Prevents rust and corrosion for enhanced durability
- Provides an attractive, rich, shimmering metallic look on surfaces
It’s a rustic antique-look paint that can spruce up tired frames, patio, table, chairs, and other decorations. The color clung well, and its nozzle disperses the paint evenly, without speckling.
Thanks to an oil-based formula, it can prevent rust, fading, and chipping, ensuring a durable finish.
- Works great on metal
- Easy to use and avoid bubbles, streaking, and dripping
- The nozzle disperses paint evenly
- Have a consistent sheen
- Dry quickly with no drips
- Great coverage
- The nozzle can easily get clogged
- Its smell is irritating
Rust-Oleum 327909 American Accents
- Ideal for interior use on virtually any surface including wood, plastic, metal, wicker, plaster, unglazed ceramic and more
- Provides long lasting protection with any-angle spray comfort tip that reduces finger fatigue and makes it easy to reach hard to paint places
- Dries to the touch in 20 min and covers up to 12 sq ft for quick project completion
- Superior durability with smooth, full coverage and vivid color
- Metallic finish provides a fresh shine to surfaces
The paint does not overlook the cotton; it only adds a nice touch of color and lays beautifully on many different surfaces, from wood, metal, plaster, to ceramic, to mention a few.
More importantly, it dries smoothly, leaving no blemishes and dimples of wet. To protect your health, be sure to use a face mask and cover adjacent areas to prevent any possible damages.
- Great coverage
- Provides a perfect level of sheen
- The can spray nozzle is easy to depress
- It gives even coverage and dries quickly
- Prepping is easy with some sandpaper
- Inconsistent finish
- Hard to spray the final portions of the can
- Not work on plastic
Rust-Oleum 286524-2PK Stops Rust Metallic
- Weather and corrosion resistant coating protects exterior and interior surfaces like wood, metal, concrete, masonry and more
- Oil-based formula provides a durable protective coating with excellent rust prevention
- Dries to the touch in 20 minutes and covers up to 15 sq. ft.
- Excellent resistance to abrasion, fading and chipping
- Spray contains actual metallic flakes and provides a brilliant, shiny finish
It’s a flat gold spray paint that comes with a comfort tip to eliminate fatigue when working on extended projects. Also, its any-angle spray technology allows users to spray tight spots and hidden corners easily.
To best prepare for outdoor painting projects, use a liquid deglosser to quickly remove old residues and sheen so you can paint without sanding.
- An oil-based formula for rust resistance
- Provides a shiny and smooth finish
- Offers lasting protection
- The spray is uniform and easy to apply
- Have excellent coverage and does not easily chip
- The color is not similar to what shown on the label
- Can get clogged
KRYLON DIVERSIFIED BRANDS K01706
- Size: 12 oz. aerosol can
- Color: Gold
- Chemical compound: Toluene, Ethylbenzene, Xylene
- Specific gravity: 0. 74
- High performance
This paint from Krylon is an affordable, versatile and easy makeover solution for your indoor furniture. It gives a finish that looks like actual metal for your drawer pulls, but you’ll need to prime them for better longevity.
- Smooth, bright, and durable metallic finish
- Fast drying for indoor use
- Convenient and economy size
- Dries in 10 to 15 minutes
- Beautiful color and easy to use
- It does not work on plastic.
- The can is a bit hard to hold
Krylon K01000A07 Premium Metallic 18K Gold
- METALLIC FINISH SPRAY PAINT – Embrace a sleek, metallic look for craft and DIY projects with Krylon Premium Metallic Spray Paint. It adheres well to most surfaces, including wood, metal, plastic, paper mache, glass, plaster ceramic, paper and wicker.
- DEEP, LUSTROUS FINISH – With a very smooth, high gloss finish, this metallic craft spray paint resembles actual metallic plating. It’s perfect for adding an on-trend finish home craft or DIY items or a touch of sleek sophistication to crafts.
- GOLD METALLIC SPRAY PAINT – A touch of gold steps up any room’s style, and is the perfect finishing touch to seasonal décor items and more. Krylon Premium Metallic Spray Paint 18K Gold is a sleek, classic color that looks elegant on any item.
- FAST DRY - The perfect addition to your craft supplies, this craft paint spray makes it easy to get a high quality metallic finish without breaking the bank. It’s also dry to the touch in 10 minutes for fast coverage to get projects done.
- AMERICA’S FIRST SPRAY COATING – Krylon spray paint has been trusted by consumers since 1947. We offer a wide selection of spray paint products to help restore, refresh and recolor any project. With Krylon, today we spray.
It gives your painting projects a smooth, realistic metal-like finish that resembles actual plating, making it a perfect choice to add glamour to crafts, wire baskets, picture frames, vases, and other decorative accessories.
Apply it in well-ventilated areas to direct the air out. Also, be sure to wear protective clothing and a face mask when spraying. It’s always important to move potentially harmful fumes away, even if the spray paint you’re using is safe and non-toxic.
- Acid-free and no drips
- It gives a smooth, glossy, and deep lustrous finish
- Dries in 10 minutes for fast coverage
- Works well on most surfaces
- Sprays evenly
- A bit overpriced
- Narrow spray pattern
Design Master MSTR Metallic 14KT
- Color Tool Is A Fast Drying, Satin Finish, Semi-Transparent Pigmented Spray
- Quick Drying - Fresh Flower Safe
- Versatile-Sprays On Most Any Surface
- Country Of Origin : United States
Besides finish, versatility is an essential factor determining the quality of spray paint. The Metallic 14KT from Design Master is suitable for a wide variety of interior projects on ceramics, wood, plaster, pottery, and many more.
As it is enriched with beautiful metallic hues, this pigment spray does not disappoint even the most demanding professionals and homeowners in their DIY projects.
- Versatile – works on many surfaces
- Impressive adhesion and coverage
- Quick-drying in five minutes only
- Pigment and solvent-based spray
- It does not work with jewelry.
- The finish is not very durable.
- How to Make Gold Paint – An In-depth Introduction for Newbies
- What Is The Best Gold Spray Paint For Your Metal Objects?
If you see uneven coverage, noticeable bits or lint, dreaded run, or original colors are shown through; chances are you didn’t have a successful spray paint experience. Messy-looking finished paint projects look unsatisfying.
Also, most paints require users to apply proper safety measures. It’s best to paint in well-ventilated areas and if you paint indoors, make sure the door or window is open.
Read on for more tips to have a smooth, consistent finish for your future spray-paint projects and how to keep yourself safe when painting.
It’s best to start by cleaning the surface of the items you need to paint. Regular household cleaning liquids or detergents will do the job. If the surface is rusted, you’ll need to sand it off to ensure adhesion.
If the rust is too heavy, you might need to soak it in white vinegar for several hours, then remove the rust with a wire brush. In case the item is too large, you can use white vinegar or baking soda as a rust cleaner.
Not all spray paints are created equally. Before shopping for your paint, you’ll need to know your surface’s material (wood, metal, plastic,…) and whether it’s indoor or outdoor.
As each type of paint is designed for a specific purpose, it’s best to pick the right one so you can have a successful painting project. Several most common types of spray paints are all surfaces, rust-preventive, and decorative.
All surface spray paint is, true to its name, works on most surfaces. Better yet, it’s usually available in many colors and can be used both indoor and outdoor.
Rust-preventive spray paint is made to use for outdoor projects to provide a glossy coating to resist rust and protect your items against harsh weather conditions and demanding exterior environments. So you can use it on bikes, cars, swing sets, garden pots, and the likes.
Decorative spray paint dries quickly and has the largest color selection of all types of spray paint. Besides, it’s also available in different finishes: semi-gloss, gloss, satin and clear.
Even though most manufacturers recommend their customers to clean the nozzle, it’s an easy-to-miss step. If you skip this step, the nozzle can end up getting clogged, making it difficult to use next time.
After each use, you only need to turn the can upside down and hold the spray nozzle for about five seconds to release gas. Now you only need to use a paper towel to wipe the tip.
Dripping is a common issue that we face in most painting projects, but the shorter the bursts, the fewer drips you will get.
Also, to get even coverage, do several light coats instead of one heavy coat. Changing directions can also help you to get into the hidden spots quickly.
Even though this tip is too obvious, it’s worth a reminder here. Pay close attention to the drying time between different coats and if the manufacturers recommend you to start with a primer, simply follow that direction.
Do I need to prime my project before painting?
Yes, most painting projects require priming. If the surface is porous, glossy, or stained, priming is a must.
Also, you’ll need to prime the surface if you need to change the original color to a completely different one. Let’s say if your kitchen cabinet is red, and now you’re changing it to white, it’s best to give it a prime.
Prime provides a smooth area, giving a clean surface for the paint to adhere to.
How to prevent the spray paint from dripping?
Dripping is common, but you can try to apply thin and light coats only to minimize drips here and there.
How do I apply spray paint evenly?
Before spraying, shake the can for about two minutes and test on the surface of the item you need to paint first. Then, hold the spray can 6 inches away from the surface and spray in several thin coats instead of one thick coat.
Besides, apply the side-to-side painting technique or change the direction in every one or two coats.
How to clean the spray paint valve?
Simply turn the can upside down and hold the spray valve for five seconds until the can release gas.
How long should I wait for the next spray paint coat?
If you apply light coats in 65-85 degrees F, the paint should be dry in about 10 minutes before you can spray an additional coat.
However, dry times vary by each type of paint, so make sure to check the label instructions for specific guidelines.
How to prevent spray paint air bubbles?
To avoid air bubbles, you can spray paint when the temperature is about 50-90 degrees F
How to prevent the spray paint tip from clogging?
To prevent the tip of clogging, always clear it off from paint after each use. You only need to turn the can upside down, press the nozzle so the mist can come out.
Should I spray paint indoors?
Yes, you can. However, it’s always recommended to spray your projects outdoors whenever you can. If you have to do it indoors, we recommend opening all windows and doors to let the smell out.
Besides, wear a mask for better respiratory protection.
Can I spray over an already-painted metal object?
Yes, you can, but you’ll first need to clean it first. You might want to use a wire brush to remove loose rust. If there’s heavy rust, use sandpaper or rust remover to clean it thoroughly before spray-painting.
What to do if I overspray?
You can use a wet clay bar to erase away the overspray spots. However, it’s better to cover surrounding surfaces to protect them from overspray. Alternatively, you can build a spray booth for your painting projects or spray in the garage if possible.
We hope that this review has brought you some useful recommendations on how to pick up the best matte gold spray paint.
If you haven’t decided on which one to purchase yet, we think that the Montana Cans Montana 400 ml is the best overall for DIY enthusiasts and professionals. It has a perfect combination of adhesion, drying time, durability, and versatility.
In case you have any questions regarding spray paint, please feel free to leave them right below in the comment section. We’ll be in touch shortly for further assistance.