After a long time, the coat of your furniture may fade due to external factors. Sure, you will want to update the cover of those items. Best outdoor paint for wood furniture can give the old furnishing a new look with a perfect finish.
That’s why you should check out our rating of the 10 best outdoor paint for wood furniture.
Top 10 best outdoor paint for wood
Cuprinol Garden Shades – Best overall
- Beautiful matt colour which enhances the grain of natural wood, with 6 Year weather protection on wood.
- Suitable for wood, terracotta, brick and stone.
- Brush or spray
- Smooth wood -brush 10-12m2 per litre, spray 4-5m2l, rough sawn wood - brush 3-5m2 per litre, spray 2-3m2 per litre
- Drying time: 1 hour
- Suitable for: wood, terracotta, brick, stone
- Drying time: 1 hour
- Method: Brush or spray
When mentioned to Cuprinol Garden Shades, its outstanding quality is the wood protection under weather conditions that can reach up to 6 years. Plus, special pigments of this paintwork very well for enhancing the grain and protecting natural wood.
There are two ways of using this kind of paint. If you want great coverage, you can brush on things. Otherwise, a smooth look needs spraying. You can apply Cuprinol on many types of surfaces such as wood, terracotta, brick, and stone.
To have perfect coverage, coats should be applied after every eight hours. There are already many colors for your needs. But you can ask for a color-mix service for wider choices.
Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Latex – The runner-up
- Use for a variety of indoor and outdoor project surfaces including wood, metal, plaster, masonry or unglazed ceramic
- Water-based acrylic formula is low odor, resist chips and provides long-lasting protection
- Covers up to 120 sq ft and dries to touch in 30 minutes for quick project completion
- Gloss finish provides a fresh new look for surfaces, goes on smoothly and provides excellent hide
- Prior to application sand surfaces with 180/200 grit sandpaper, then wash with a degreaser, allow the surface to dry and apply paint
- Suitable for: wood, metal, plaster, masonry, unglazed ceramic
- Water-based acrylic
With only one paint bucket come from Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Latex you can apply for an area of 120 sq ft. The coats will be set on the surfaces quickly within 30 minutes.
With the low odor formula of water-based acrylic, the finish will be protected from chips and lasted for a long time.
Before applying paint, sanding the exterior is required, then using a degreaser, wait till it dry. This paint is suitable for indoor and outdoor projects and can cover many kinds of surfaces such as wood, metal, masonry, plaster, and unglazed ceramic.
After all, your furniture will be put on a new look with a gloss finish and excellent hide.
Majic Paints Interior/Exterior Satin Paint – Best outdoor paint for wood trim
- Color: White
- IDEAL FOR DIY PROJECTS: Repurpose furniture, trim, cabinets, doors, or any project you have in in mind
- SUPERIOR COLOR-RETENTION: Levels to a beautiful smooth satin finish
- EASY-TO-APPLY: Sticks to any surface without sanding or priming
- ALL-PURPOSE USE: Perfect for wood, metal, brick, drywall, glass, steel, tile, vinyl, aluminum, most plastics, copper, and masonry
- Suitable for: wood, metal, brick, drywall, glass, steel, tile, vinyl, aluminum, most plastics, copper, and masonry
- Paint type: Oil, Acrylic
Majic Paint is an ideal choice for DIYers and crafters. You can use it to renew any furniture that your house has including trim, cabinets, and doors.
Take one tin of this paint, then you will totally transform your bench or table. This product is a multi-purpose paint. You can apply it on various surfaces such as wood, metal, brick, drywall, glass, steel, tile, aluminum, copper,…
The painting process is effortless. The external does not require sand or prime, so you only need to apply the coats directly to things.
- The Best Paint Stripper For Wood To Give Your Furniture A new Life
- 28 Must-Have Painting Tools When You Paint (with Pictures)
KILZ Exterior Siding, Fence, and Barn Paint – Best outdoor paint for wood signs
- A good exterior paint offers coverage and protection against the elements, while adding beauty to outdoor structures. This is an all purpose exterior paint resists cracking, peeling and blistering.
- This paint features a unique water/oil base formula for exceptional adhesion, versatility, and longevity in varied conditions.
- Use on vertical exterior wood surfaces as well as masonry, stucco, and sanded glossy surfaces. Remove peeling paint, mill glaze, loose wood fibers, dirt, and debris before painting.
- This paint dries to the touch in 2-3 hours. Allow 6 to 8 hours of drying prior to recoating.
- This is a 1-gallon can of KILZ Exterior Siding, Fence, and Barn Paint in white. For use on properly prepared exterior vertical wood surfaces.
- Suitable for: wood surfaces, masonry, stucco, sanded glossy surfaces
- Paint type: water/oil-based
- Drying time: 2-3 hours
KILZ is a famous paint brand for making premium primers and paints in 40 years.
A good painting provides protected coverage to resist cracking, peeling, and blistering. This paint can dry to touch in about 2-3 hours. Each coat needs to wait for 6 to 8 hours for application.
KILZ paint is ideal for vertical exterior surfaces such as fences. Before painting, you should sand the external to remove mildew, peeling, and dirt.
The water and oil-based formula help the finish adhere and endure even under bad weather conditions.
INSL-X Tough Shield Coating Paint – Best outdoor paint for floor and patio
- Waterborne, acrylic enamel designed for a rugged, durable finish with good abrasion resistance withstanding detergents, oils, greases, and scrubbing.
- Resists ponding water and has excellent wearing qualities for interior floor paint or exterior floor paint used on surfaces like masonry, concrete and wood .
- Durable satin finish designed to produce a rugged, durable finish that stands up to weather and abrasion.
- Interior/exterior floor coating, porch and patio floor paint for light commercial as well as residential floor applications DO NOT USE ON GARAGE FLOORS OR CAR PARKING SURFACES.
- 350 - 450 square foot coverage per gallon.
- Suitable for: masonry, concrete and wood
- Paint type: Liquid
The acrylic enamel and waterborne formula give a perfect and durable finish so that the surface against abrasion, oils, grease, and spills of detergents. Therefore, you do not need to spend much time scrubbing.
The finish is also assured standing up to all kinds of weather. The paint is used for exterior and interior use and applied on surfaces like masonry, concrete, and wood.
However, the brand claims that this paint is not suitable for garage floors or car parking surfaces. One notice is that you should use this paint only at a temperature above 10-celsius degrees. A gallon of paint can cover from 350 to 450 square feet.
Valspar 1500 Latex Satin Enamel – Best outdoor paint for wood porch railings
- Use on wood, concrete, floors, primed metal, steps, railings and porches
- For interior and exterior use
- Multi-purpose and weather resistant
- Water clean-up and wear resistant
- Suitable for: wood, concrete, floors, primed metal, steps, railings, porches
The Valspar 1500 Latex Satin is a paint brand suitable for interior and exterior use. This paint can apply to diverse terrain such as wood, concrete, primed metal, floors.
The superb paint frame makes it resistant to weather conditions. The advantage of this paint is multi-purpose so that you can use it for every furniture item that needs refreshing and easy-to-clean with water.
General Finishes Water Based Topcoat – Best outdoor paint for wood fences
- Plastic Gallon Jug - due to an metal can shortage, product may come in a plastic jug instead of a metal container
- Exterior 450 Topcoat is fortified with UV absorbers to stabilize and protect the integrity of the finish but will not prevent the wood from changing color from sunlight
- This topcoat also contains built-in properties to protect against fungal growth
- Water based formula can be brushed, sprayed or rolled; soap and water cleanup
- Suitable for: vertical exterior surfaces
If you have limited time to finish the painting project while wanting to have perfect adherence coats. General Finishes will do the job because of many advantages that make it one of the best outdoor paint for wood.
The topcoat can build a strong defense from UV, protecting the underlying stains from fading. The high-performance topcoat of this painting type is the most durable polyurethane on the market. It only takes 1-2 hours for each coat.
Rust-Oleum Marine Topside Paint – Best outdoor paint for wood siding
- Ideal for use on fiberglass, wood or metal surfaces above the waterline
- Oil-based formula is flexible and applies easily with excellent leveling
- Dries to the touch in as little as 1 to 2 hours and covers up to 100 sq ft
- Durable coating resists abrasion and extreme weather conditions and provides long-lasting UV protection
- Superior gloss retention and smooth finish help maintain the beauty and elegance of your surfaces
- Suitable for: fiberglass, wood, metal surfaces above the waterline
- Paint type: Oil
- Drying time: 1 to 2 hours
The Rust-Oleum Marine Topside Paint works well on fiberglass, wood, and metal surfaces above the waterline. The paint can dry to touch in 1 to 2 hours and is capable of 100 square feet coverage.
Due to the oil-based formula, the finish is perfectly smooth and resistant to UV. The durable coating can protect against abrasion and any weather conditions.
Thus, every painted-project can maintain its beauty completion for a very long time.
Montage Signature Semi-Gloss – Best outdoor paint for wood deck
- ✅EXTREMELY VERSATILE - Montage Signature is the #1 choice for all of your professional painting needs - interior/exterior, small residential spaces, large commercial buildings & everything in between!
- ✅SUPERIOR COVERAGE & PROTECTION - All of our specialty finishes let you brush smoothly & evenly while delivering maximum coverage. Improved sealing technology defends against moisture, mold & mildew.
- ✅ECO FRIENDLY - We're committed to the highest quality environmentally-friendly & pollutant-free materials, and a rigorous engineering and testing process for each of our leading professional paints.
- ✅10 YEAR WARRANTY - We can't wait to add you to our long list of loyal customers turning to Montage Signature for all of their painting needs. All paints are covered by our 10 Year Premium Warranty.
- ✅MADE IN USA - Montage Signature Paint believes in the power of a thriving American economy and the integrity of its people. 100% produced from Raw & Post Consumer latex paints right here in the USA.
- Suitable for: metal, wood, plastic
Montage Paint uses an ecologically friendly manufacturing process. The supplier is committed to pollutant-free materials. So, your health is guaranteed when using their paint for your house.
This paint is the top choice for professional painting such as interior or exterior surfaces, small residential spaces, large commercial buildings. You can easily scrub the painted-area without afraid of affecting the color and finish.
Having a water-based feature, every part you paint will be superior coverage with protection against mold and mildew.
Prestige Lifetime – Best outdoor paint for wood crafts
- Prestige Paints has created a comparable color based on color specifications of the original color using industry leading technology.
- This Sherwin Williams paint color name is a trademark of Sherwin Williams. Prestige Paints is not associated or affiliated with Sherwin Williams in any way.
- High hiding formula for excellent coverage with smooth application
- 100% Acrylic latex paint for easy soap and water clean-up
- Low VOC: less than 50 gms/L 0.42 lbs/gal. prior to tinting
- Suitable for: wood, masonry surfaces, cement board siding, vinyl, aluminum, siding
Prestige Paints can cover up to 400 square feet per gallon. Having the innovative technology in manufacturing, Prestige has produced a comparable color based on the color specification of the initial color.
As its name suggests, Prestige Lifetime has the ingredient of 100% Acrylic, making it perfectly resistant to weather and lasts for a long time. This paint provides a smooth application and can be cleaned easily by water.
What to consider before buying exterior wood paint
Don’t know what features to look for the best outdoor paint for wood? You may find it hard to decide what to buy on a lot of available paint brands. Some considerations below might help you to have a deep understanding.
You can find a variety of exterior paint at different prices. Normally, a gallon of paint costs from $8 to $50. The more expensive paint costs, the higher quality ingredients it has.
However, if you spend much time searching around websites, you may figure out the best wood paint on the budget.
Except for paint ingredients, you should consider the warranty. Paint has a warranty of 15 years is more durable than paint that has a warranty of 5 or 10 years.
VOCs stands for the volatile organic compound. Chemicals and solvents often exist in paint products.
While doing paint, you can inhale malodorous fumes that can cause headaches and nausea. That’s why you should choose a type of paint having labels meaning “Low-VOC” or “Zero-VOC.”
When comparing oil and latex paint, the oil paint has higher VOCs in measure than the other.
Dry time of paint is one of the most important factors needed to consider. The manufacturers often show the information about dry time on the product label, so you should check it carefully before purchasing.
Dry time affects significantly the total time of the project completion. If you want to apply the second coat, you must wait until the first coat dry.
Choosing a type of paint has a quick dry time, in case that you do not have much time for the painting. Every painting has different dry times from others.
Latex paints dry to touch within a couple of hours, you can apply another coat in four or six hours. Oil paint takes much more time to dry. You need to wait for up to eight hours for the first coat to dry and 24 hours for applying the second coat.
It’s apparent that cheap paints have low-quality pigment, the coats can fade quickly over time. You had better remember that dark colors tend to fade more speedily than light colors.
If you would like to paint in a dark or bright shade on your furniture, you should check the ingredient list first. The priority ingredient is titanium dioxide. It is the pigment that makes your painting last longer. Thus, it costs much more than other types of paints.
Paint having UV protection is also a great choice. This factor helps to maintain the beauty of exterior items.
Best outdoor paint needs to be against weather conditions. You do not want to have fences washed away after a rain.
Oil paints are known for their resistance to rain for many years. But not for long, acrylic-based latex paint seems to be innovative in the painting industry.
Acrylic ingredients make latex more elastic, providing it great ability to repel rain and resist cracking. The premium latex paint will show the ingredient list of “all acrylic” or “100 percent acrylic”.
If other types also have acrylic but with a small number of acrylic ingredients exist can not resist Mother of nature.
Different regions need different paints. You can not use the same type of paint for two distinct places having contrasting climates. Paint additives make the coats stronger and last for a longer time.
Keep in mind that a humid environment needs mildew-resistant paint and vice versa. Outdoor furniture where the places are too sunny needs UV-resistant paint.
The manufacturers will list suitable surfaces on the paint label. You need to check your furniture material before finding the best paints.
Remember that the general rule is to choose the same type of paint with the surface material needed for renewing.
Take an example, the exterior of your furniture is already latex, then you should go with the latex paint. Applying other types of paint on improper surfaces, you won’t get the result you want.
Using the latex over the oil surface causes peeling and wasting your money. The paint you are going to use must be compatible with the surface you are planning to paint. If you do not consider this factor, your project is worse than ever.
The review “best outdoor paint for wood” not only brings you the best products on the market but also provides you valuable information before purchasing. Amateurs painters often find it difficult to buy a gallon of paint compatible with their projects.
We hope that after reading this article you will know better about outdoor paints and how to use them for your future projects.
If we have to choose one, the Cuprinol Garden Shades is the priority choice. This type of paint has many benefits so we are sure to find one you like.
Cuprinol Garden Shades is suitable for almost any surface and remains in good condition under weather conditions for 6 years. This is the best one having longevity using, you can save a lot of time and money after one painting.