A bedroom is a place meant for privacy, where you can be yourself without a care in the world, so it’s the room that tells the most about your personality. Choosing a color combination for a bedroom can be challenging, because not every color can complement each other.
To avoid the headache, some people seek help from designers. But if you prefer to do everything yourself, then read on, because we will give you not only the hottest color combination for bedroom but also some tips for you to customize your color palette.
Why is Color Combination so Important?
Do you know what “Color psychology” is? Simply put, it’s a study of how colors can affect our mood, behavior, and performance. Even though more scientific researches still need to be done, this concept has long been a heated topic and used widely in areas such as design, art, etc.
For example, warm colors can make you feel more happy and energetic while cool ones help you relax and provide a soothing effect; bright colors improve your mood while dark colors can make you feel sad and anxious.
How color affects you depends majorly on its tone, shade, and brightness. However, colors are subjective, so remember to take into consideration your gender, age, culture, and past experience as well.
All in all, colors are connected to our emotions, so choosing a suitable color combination for bedroom can help you create the mood you want at home, be it relaxing, lively, calming, or creative.
See More: Two Colour Combination For Bedroom Walls
Best Color Combination for Bedroom
- White and Beige: The best color combination for bedroom walls, as white and beige are easy to match with furniture.
- Pastels: They are the most popular color combination for bedrooms. You can pair two pastels together, or mix them with the cream color. Pastel colors are light and easy on the eyes, so bedrooms with this color scheme have a pretty calming vibe.
- Layers of grey color: Grey is one of the neutral colors, so having different shades of grey in your bedroom gives out a classy feel, as well as adds more texture and depth to your room.
- Brown with a touch of green: Doesn’t this color combination for bedroom remind you of the trees, of grass and wood? Choosing these 2 colors, the colors of nature, will calm your senses and give you a feeling of serenity.
See Also: What Color Goes With Brown Furniture?
- Grey and yellow: Using grey as the primary color will make the colorful yellow pop out even more! This color scheme is a perfect mix between a “colorless” and bright shade, giving your bedroom a fresh and contemporary look.
- Blue and orange: They may sound like a weird color combination for bedroom. However, by picking the right shades of these 2 colors, along with furniture decorated with many details and patterns, you can still create a cozy but modern looking bedroom.
- Red, white, and black bedroom: I’m sure you have seen a lot of bedrooms with a black and white color scheme. Tweak it a little bit and add a splash of red into the combination. The result will surprise you: with red, the room now buzzes with energy and gives off a modern feeling.
- Mix plum and gold on a cream-colored background: Paint your bedroom walls, ceiling, and floor in cream color, then pick out some gold-lined furniture or wallpapers. Finish off this sophisticated color combination with plum-colored bedding and curtain.
Bold & Contrast
- Orange and blue: Despite being contrast colors, it’s surprising how these two colors complement each other. Try mixing lighter shades of orange with darker shades of blue, then throw in white/cream colored furniture to make your room look brighter.
- Purple and Yellow: Another pair of contrast colors. This color combination for bedroom is a traditional one, yet it never goes out of style. Purple and yellow are bright colors so they can be too much at times (like when you’re stressed or tired).
I find the best mix is creamy yellow and soft lavender hue. These two shades bring out the elegance of your bedroom.
- Go all out with orange: This color scheme is for people who prefer the earthy countryside vibe. Pick a dark, rusty orange shade as your main color. Then go bold with your choice of wooden and leather furniture. Avoid making the bedroom look too dark by combining light colors for the floor, bedding, or curtain.
- Vibrant combinations: There isn’t any rule for this color scheme, simply use your imagination and creativity, turn your bedroom into a color fest. A simple tip: splash 2-3 types of bright colors (red, yellow, pink) on a white backdrop (preferably your bedroom walls) so the lively palette isn’t too harsh for the eyes.
For Small Bedrooms
- Emerald and silver: For this color scheme, I advise choosing wallpapers or bedding with an emerald pattern. Pair them with silver furniture (lamps, mirror frames, pillowcases, etc.) to increase the luminosity of your small bedroom. It’s ideal to paint your room in light tones so that these 2 colors stand out more.
- Different shades of brown: Brown is a warm color, it can make your bedroom look cozy without being cramped. Consider using various shades of light brown, such as the mocha and biscuit color.
- Sky blue and bright yellow: This combo is a perfect representation of a beautiful day. The bright colors make the room look bigger, and at the same time, help to enhance your mood. You can use this color combination for your kids’ bedrooms, or the guest bedroom.
Tips for Choosing Colour Combination for the Bedroom
Remember the Color Wheel
When it comes to choosing a color combination, the color wheel can be the most useful tool. Plus, it’s pretty easy to use once you know the basics, so you don’t have to be a professional to know which colors match.
The Color Wheel is the organization of color hues of the three primary colors: red, yellow, and blue. Using it, we can know the relationship between colors. There are three types of color combination for bedroom you can create based on the color wheel:
- Monochromatic color scheme: in other words, it’s a one-color palette. Simply find one color that you like the most, then look for other shades of that color. Be careful when picking the shades, because too much of anything can be overwhelming.
- Analogous color combination: Start by choosing one shade as the main color, then choose 1- 3 shades next to the chosen main color. These shades will make a harmonious color combination, as they have the same base color.
- Complementary colors: This is the best choice for people who like everything big and bold. To make this color palette, all you have to do is choose 2 opposite colors on the color wheel. This color combination won’t hurt your eyes though, as they visually balance each other out.
Use Accent colors:
Depending on the main color of your bedroom, you can pick either bright and vivid shades or neutral shades to accentuate your chosen color scheme. Remember to use them sparingly, on small furniture such as picture frames, pillowcase, and rugs, as they are for highlights only.
Choose the Finish of the Paint:
Generally, we would recommend using a flat/matte finish for bedroom walls because it’s non-reflective and has the most coverage.
However, other types of finish can still be used strategically to create visual effects. Don’t be afraid to be creative and go bold, it’s your bedroom after all!
See also: How Long To Paint A Room
Some Final Words
Above are some of our recommendations for your color combination for bedroom. I hope you have found one to your liking or was inspired to make a color palette of your own.
No matter what your choice of colors for the bedroom is, make sure it matches the overall color scheme of your house because I’m sure you don’t want to get whiplash going from one room to another.