Hi guys, here is my comprehensive guide on how to Plasti Dip! Keep reading!
If you don’t know what Plasti Dip is, then it is a brand-new, simple and affordable method to change car coats.
With beautiful and glossy paint but still can keep your car’s original color, this technology can definitely live up to your expectations.
What Is Plasti Dip?
Plasti Dip paint allows you to change the object’s color without reducing its quality as the original paint layer is still preserved under the new paint layers.
Moreover, you can remove or peel the Plasti Dip layer when needed without the use of chemicals, so it is truly environmental-friendly.
The Plasti Dip coat is chip-resistant, so it can protect your car’s original paint from external forces and bad weather conditions.
Another feature that makes Plasti Dip stand out is that you can buy and paint your car with it yourself. It is also applicable to the car interior.
So, if your car paint is old and outdated, or you just simply feel fed up with its original color, it’s high time for you to change your car color without having to worry about the workmanship of craftsmen as well as the quality of paint!
How To Plasti Dip
Step 1: Preparation
Before you want to paint anything, the first step is always cleaning. And, the car is not an exception. Please wash your car carefully and let it totally dry before you come to the next step.
What makes Plasti Dip so convenient is that you no longer have to sand or remove the old paint like traditional methods.
Next, shake the Plasti Dip spray bottle well in about one minute to mix the paint inside.
Step 2: Painting
Spray the first layer above the car’s surface 10-12cm (4-5 inches). Move the bottle horizontally from left to right and vice versa to coat evenly.
In this step, you should create a thin base first, and then build the next medium-thick follow-up layers.
With the next layers, you can follow the same rule but please make sure that you have enough six Plasti Dip paint coats.
Step 3: Spraying Car’s Rims and Accessories
If you know how to take wheels off your car, it would be much easier to dip them. Still, if you don’t, cut plastic bags into half-length and use them to cover your brakes.
Although this will take you more effort and time, you can rest assured that you will not accidentally drip paint on other unintended parts of the car.
Next, wash your rims thoroughly. You will never want your new car’s shirt to have any specks of dirt on it, right?
Then, you can spray them. Remember to spray at least 4 coats and wait for 15-20 minutes between each.
To paint any other parts of your car, follow the same method. And, remember to not use it at least after 4 hours.
Step 4: Completion
After finishing painting all layers, if you want the paint to stick to your car longer, you should focus more on the edges of the car.
Finally, don’t touch the paint for at least four hours to let it completely dry.
- Plasti Dip paint will stain immediately when it comes in direct contact with gasoline. So, watch out, especially at gas stations.
- To fix the above problem, spray water as much as possible on that contaminated surface right away and let it evaporate itself.
- Never wipe it! The more you wipe, the more gasoline will infiltrate.
- If you have applied the right method when painting, your car’s weight will increase from 10 to 20kg.
- The minimum number of layers of Plasti Dip is five. Do not use less than it or else your car’s shirt can’t look perfect!
- Do not paint on too small places in your car like hockets, or somewhere with lots of details.
- Store paint bottles away from heat or where sparks can happen.
- Keep it out of children’s reach
- Do not puncture or burn the bottle when it still has paint inside.
- Plasti Dip can have some toxic or flammable gas so please use them in a well-ventilated place and wear a mask to protect your health.
- Avoid exposing yourself to the paint for a long time otherwise, it can seriously affect your health.
- Remember that with the Plasti Dip method, you don’t need to sand before painting, no matter which parts they are.
How Long Can You Keep Plasti Dip On Your Car?
Plasti Dip is very durable, which can last at least three years on your car. However, to make it possible, you must apply it properly from scratch.
So, please follow the rules as well as take those precautions that I mentioned earlier into consideration to make sure that your car paint is always in good condition.
Without any technical skills, you can give your car a new shirt or draw some eye-catching details on it while still protecting its original paint and preserving its value.
In short, Plasti Dip is an effective method for those who want to change their car’s color frequently. So, if you’re fed up with your car’s old color, why don’t you give Plasti Dip a shot?
I hope that after reading this, you’ve known how to Plasti Dip appropriately and can apply it successfully.
Last but not least, thanks for reading my article; if you have any questions related to Plasti Dip, feel free to ask!
I am Peter Levick, with over 10 years of experience in the home improvement industry, I have become a seasoned expert in painting and paint sprayers. Through numerous DIY projects, I have developed a keen eye for aesthetics and a deep understanding of the technical aspects involved. My expertise extends to various paint sprayer systems, and I stay updated with the latest advancements. I bring a meticulous approach to every project, ensuring stunning and durable results. Clients can trust in my craftsmanship and commitment to delivering exceptional work.