Paint sprayers have been preferred alternative gadgets for home painting projects, compared to traditional tools such as brushes and rollers.
Among different types of sprayers, airless sprayers are the best option to paint big projects. Our Wagener Control Pro 150 review will recommend you to one of the best airless paint sprayers on the market.
Wagner Control Pro 150 Review: Highlighted features
The Control Pro line is the replacement of the discontinued Wagner Procoat series. The successors have a more aesthetic external design and higher efficiency than their predecessors.
Because all the heavy components, including the pump, are housed in the floor-standing unit, the spray gun itself is light and easy to operate. The Wagner Control Pro 150 also has a 25-foot hose, which gives you extensive operating freedom.
One of the most annoying tasks concerning paint sprayers is refilling. Many models require you to decant the painting medium before use. On large-scale projects, this will slow down the progress and frustrate you.
However, refilling is no longer a problem with the Wagner Control Pro 150. Its suction tube directly draws paint into the pump from the original container – maximum capacity of 5 liters. This helps you save time and reduces the mess caused by pouring liquid from one container to another.
In addition, the end of the suction tube has an inlet filter to prevent any debris or other dried materials from infiltrating the pump, which results in better outcomes and extending the machine’s durability.
Thanks to its high flow rate of almost 0.3 gallons-per-minute, the Wagner Control Pro 150 is a commercial-grade that can deal with big house painting projects. Specifically, the maximum pressure of 1500 PSI allows the Control Pro 150 to reach the capacity of spraying 175 gallons per year.
In addition, the Wagner Control Pro 150 can apply coatings 3 times as fast as a low-overspray roller. Therefore, it’s suitable for painting the exterior or a large deck, etc.
Due to the airless pump’s 0.55 horsepower and five pressure levels, the Wagner Control Pro 150 can be used along with unthinned mediums such as stains, oil, chalk, and latex-based paints.
One of the disadvantages of airless paint sprayers is overspraying. However, because of its 515 high-efficient airless (HEA) technology, not only overspray and wastage are reduced by up to 55% but the coatings are also finer and the final result will be smoother.
Whether you paint professionally or as a hobby, any extensive use of the paint sprayer can lead to extra stress on the device.
Even though the manufacturer claims that they produce a pump that is up to 3 times as durable as the pump of its closest competitors, some parts of the pump will inevitably suffer some damage after use.
One of the vulnerable points in airless sprayers is the connection between the hose and the pump. To minimize this weakness, the manufacturer has equipped the Wagener Control Pro 150 with a stainless steel hose protector which helps strengthen the weak spot.
Moreover, the fluid component can be removed, so you can clean it thoroughly after finishing your project. As a result, it increases the machine’s durability.
- Affordable price
- Light removable spraying gun
- Reduction of overspray by up to 55%
- Multiple pressure settings
- Long spraying hose
- Great compatibility with 2-in-1 paints, oil, and enamel
- Suitability for large projects
- Loud operating noise
- Time-consuming post-project cleaning
- First-time users may have trouble assembling the paint sprayer
Wagner 0580678 Control Pro 130 Power Tank Paint Sprayer
There are many similarities between Wagner Control Pro 130 and Control Pro 150, including the floor-standing unit, lightweight handle, a long hose, and less overspray waste by up to 55%, etc.
However, the battle of Wagner Control Pro 150 vs 130 leans towards Control Pro 150 because the cleanup process is faster and easier. Additionally, the manufacturer incorporates more features in the Control Pro 150 to control the pressure than the Control Pro 130.
While the Wagner Control Pro 130 has a hopper with a maximum capacity of 1.5 gallons of material, the Wagner Control Pro 150 can directly draw paint into the pump from the original container with a maximum capacity of 5 liters.
Evidently, the Control Pro 150 has better performance than the Control Pro 130. Nevertheless, if you don’t have extra cash and there are not many projects, the Wagener Control Pro 130 is a strong alternative contender.
Wagner 0580001 Control Pro 170 Paint Sprayer
- WAGNER AIRLESS PAINT SPRAYER: The Control Pro 170 paint sprayer applies coatings 3X faster than a roller with low overspray. It’s perfect for painting the exterior of your home, staining a large deck, and more
- HIGH EFFICIENCY AIRLESS TECHNOLOGY: The paint sprayer features HEA technology that decreases overspray by up to 55 percent while delivering softer spray, improving control and providing a more-consistent finish
- HOW IS IT DIFFERENT. This Control Pro sprayer has a max operating pressure of 1500 PSI, can spray up to 300 gallons per year, features an all-metal gun, and utilizes a 30 ft. hose to easily spray large projects
- POWERFUL SPRAY GUN: The durable and powerful paint spray gun has a .60 horsepower HEA pump that can spray unthinned paint and stain materials
- LONG LASTING SPRAY SYSTEM: The HEA pump features a long lasting pump with easy to replace inlet and outlet valves that maximizes sprayer life and is backed by the industry’s best and longest warranty
While they share the same maximum operating pressure (1500 PSI) and spraying efficiency, the Control Pro 170 has higher spraying capacity (300 gallons per year and 0.6 horsepower) and a slightly longer hose (30 feet) than the Control Pro 150.
- Graco Magnum Project Painter Plus Paint Sprayer Review
- Best Airless Paint Sprayer Reviews – Comparison for 2023
Wagner 0580002 Control Pro 190 Paint Sprayer
- WAGNER AIRLESS PAINT SPRAYER: The Control Pro 190 paint sprayer applies coatings 3X faster than a roller with low overspray. It’s perfect for painting the exterior of your home, staining a large deck, and more
- HIGH EFFICIENCY AIRLESS TECHNOLOGY: The paint sprayer features HEA technology that decreases overspray by up to 55% while delivering softer spray, improving control and providing a more-consistent finish
- HOW IS IT DIFFERENT. This Control Pro sprayer has a max operating pressure of 1600 PSI, can spray up to 500 gallons per year, features an all-metal gun, and utilizes a 50 ft. hose to easily spray even the biggest projects
- POWERFUL SPRAY GUN: The durable and powerful paint spray gun has a .70 horsepower HEA pump that can spray unthinned paint and stain materials
- LONG LASTING SPRAY SYSTEM: The HEA pump features a rebuildable fluid section that maximizes sprayer life and is backed by the industry’s best and longest warranty
Along with its great power, the Control Pro 190 has similar spraying speed and efficiency as the Control Pro 150 and 170.
Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Stand Airless Paint SprayerSimilar to the Wagner Control Pro 150, the Graco Magnum X5 Airless Paint Sprayer also has adjustable pressure settings to customize the flow rate while you paint.
The difference in Wagner Control Pro 150 vs Graco X5 can be observed in the hose length, the spraying capacity, and the design. The hose of Graco X5 (up to 75 ft.) is 3 times as long as that of the Wagner Control Pro 150 (25 ft.).
In addition, Graco recommends the Magnum X5 for home improvers who only utilize a maximum of 125 gallons per year which is less than the capacity of the Wagner Control Pro 150 (175 gallons per year).
While the Control Pro 150 has one floor-standing unit and one mobile part, the Graco Magnum X5 is more lightweight, portable, easier to carry and operate.
Titan Tool 0580009 Titan High Efficiency Airless Paint Sprayer
- AIRLESS PAINT SPRAYER: The ControlMax 1700 is designed for serious DIYers and handymen, making it easier to paint like a pro and apply coatings 3X faster than a roller. Perfect for painting big projects like home exteriors, fences, decks, garages and more
- HIGH EFFICIENCY AIRLESS TECHNOLOGY: This paint sprayer features HEA technology that decreases overspray by up to 55% while delivering softer spray, improving control and providing a more-consistent finish
- HOW IS IT DIFFERENT? Max operating pressure of 1500 PSI, can spray up to 300 gallons per year, all-metal gun, 30 ft. hose (can be extended up to 80 ft.), and 0.60 horsepower pump that can spray unthinned paints and stains up to 0.33 gallons per minute
- ACCESS TO FREE CONTROLMAX APP: Get recommended settings based on your exact paint, quick access to support info and keep records of all your painting jobs in a single spot. Available for free on Google and Apple App Stores
- POWERFUL, LONG-LASTING: Sprayer lasts up to 3x longer than competitive sprayers with easy to replace inlet and outlet valves to extend the life of the sprayer. It’s backed by the industry’s best and longest 2 year warranty
Like the Control Pro 150, the Titan Tool paint sprayer has a floor-standing component and a mobile spraying part. However, the ControlMax 1700’s hose, originally 30 feet long and extendable to 80 feet, is longer than the Control Pro 150.
Moreover, the Titan Tool ControlMax 1700 is more powerful than the Wagner Control Pro 150. It has a 0.6 horsepower pump that can spray both unthinned paints and stains with a flow rate of up to 0.33 gallons per minute. This guarantees the Titan Tool sprayer great productivity.
The ControlMax 1700 also has a higher working capacity than the Wagner Control Pro 150, able to spray up to 300 gallons per year compared to 175 gallons per year of the latter.
Himalaya Airless Paint Sprayer 3000PSIIf the features of the Wagner Control Pro 150 model catch your attention but its price discourages you, Himalaya Airless Paint Sprayer is an affordable alternative that you should consider.
Similar to the Wagner model, the Himalaya has a suction tube equipped with a filter, an equivalently long hose, and a floor-standing pump.
On the one hand, the maximum capacity of the Himalaya Airless Paint Sprayer (3000 psi) is twice as high as that of the Wagner Control Pro 150, while the Himalaya’s horsepower (0.63) is slightly higher than the Pro 150.
On the other hand, the appearance of the Himalaya Airless Paint Sprayer is less appealing, aesthetic, and more industrial-looking than the Wagner model.
Can HEA sprayers be used indoors and outdoors?
Yes, the HEA sprayers are suitable for both indoor and outdoor projects.
What spray tips are compatible with the HEA sprayers?
There are only two types of spray tips compatible with the HEA sprayers: Wagner and Titan HEA spray tips.
How do I know what size spray tip to use?
The coating manufacturer determines the spray tip size. You can find the information in the application section on the paint can or bucket.
If you cannot find this piece of information, you can contact the paint manufacturer to ask about the recommended spray tip size.
Even though there is a general guideline regarding the spray tip size on page 12 of the owner’s manual, the aforementioned guidelines will provide you with a more accurate size.
Is there a roller attachment available for the HEA sprayers?
Unfortunately, there is no availability of a roller attachment for the HEA sprayers.
Notice: Do not spray or clean with liquids that have a flash point under 38 degrees Celsius (100 degrees Fahrenheit). Flash point is defined as the temperature level at which a fluid can generate enough vapor to ignite.
What types of coatings can be sprayed through the HEA sprayers?
The HEA sprayers can be used with water or oil-based paints and stains.
Do I need to thin the material?
It depends. Refer to the instructions of the coating supplier to find out whether you need to thin the material.
Can I use the HEA sprayer to paint my car?
Since the HEA sprayer isn’t graded as automotive-quality, the final outcome will not be as good as the look you would want to look on a car.
Can the HEA sprayer be used with 220volt?
The HEA sprayers have a 15-amp minimum circuit and are designed to be utilized with 115volt and 60Hz current.
In case you want a sprayer to be used internationally, you can find a dealer or look for 220volt Wagner models on their website.
Can the HEA sprayers be used with a 5-gallon bucket?
Yes, all Control Pro and ControlMax series can be used with a 5-gallon bucket.
How to clean Wagner Control Pro 150?
Step 1 : Turn the prime/spray knob to the prime position.
Step 2 : Turn the power on.
Step 3 : Unlock the spraying gun and pull the trigger to relieve the system. Then lock the gun again.
Step 4 : Turn the power off. Then remove the guard and tip and place them in soap & water.
Step 5 : Empty the paint from the hopper and clean the container with soap & water.
Step 6 : Turn the prime/spray knob to spray position and turn the power on.
Step 7 : Pull the gun trigger until the water runs clear.
Step 8 : Turn the prime/spray knob to the prime position. Then run the pump and flush until it cleans.
Step 9 : Turn the power off. Disassemble the paint sprayer.
Refer to the owner’s manual for additional information.
Our Wagner Control Pro 150 review shows that this paint sprayer model is a perfect option for home improvers who need a prosumer-level machine for large-scale projects.
With 5-level power settings, you can adjust the painting pressure to suit your base material and coverage requirements. With the Wagner Control Pro 150, you don’t have to worry about refilling and the inlet filter helps protect the pump from debris and your fresh paint coats from being ruined by debris.
However, operating the Pro 150 can be a challenging task for novice users because of significant preparation and priming in advance. Therefore, the Wagner Control Pro 150 would be a better choice for experienced sprayers.
I am Peter Levick, with over 10 years of experience in the home improvement industry, I have become a seasoned expert in painting and paint sprayers. Through numerous DIY projects, I have developed a keen eye for aesthetics and a deep understanding of the technical aspects involved. My expertise extends to various paint sprayer systems, and I stay updated with the latest advancements. I bring a meticulous approach to every project, ensuring stunning and durable results. Clients can trust in my craftsmanship and commitment to delivering exceptional work.